Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Toyota and Nissan airbag recall.

Section for general chatting about your RAV4 or other Rides ... What you do with it, how to use it, where you been in it, or not been in it, we don't mind... It's a free world!
Oh, If you want to get all technical, the Technical Questions and Info could be the place to go.

Re: Toyota and Nissan airbag recall.

PostPosted by Hoovie » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:48 pm

anchorman wrote:Maybe the supplier can’t keep up.

They are keeping up with airbags on new vehicles though? Maybe divert 1% more of their average production ....?

(Yes, I know there are multiple makers of airbags, but there are always alternative suppliers for these)
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by anchorman » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:33 pm

Osram don't make cars.

I must admit, I thought it was bold of them to commit to a date. Have you tried Toyota Customer Service?
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

PostPosted by Big Kev » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:58 pm

anchorman wrote:Osram don't make cars.

I must admit, I thought it was bold of them to commit to a date. Have you tried Toyota Customer Service?

Long story, Don......quite honestly, their getting back t'customer skills have really hissed me off. New faces behind desk who do not know my degree of loyalty thus far.......brought about by staff turnover of course, the curse of the franchise. MOT and Service No.4 will be sourced elsewhere tomorrow. Bear in mind also the date they committed to was more than likely fictitious......keeps yer interest, min.
Mazda lamps stay brighter longer.......

Echoing Hoovie.......a glass producer in Greenwich, more than likely Pilkington methinks, is currently working a night shift to keep up with post Brexit increase in demand. Posted on here somebody claimed Toyota France were dealing with the airbag debacle. Wryly smiling at the French......" We need to work longer hours to keep up with airbag demand"........pigs are flying...... :s_yahoo
"Nobody knows where my Johnnie has gone"........why sing about a missing condom....?
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

Primary Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SR Auto
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2004
Trim: Granite
Fuel Type: Petrol 3 Door.

PostPosted by shcm » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:20 am

I usually bite my tongue on this.

http://www.automotivemanufacturingsolut ... -anxieties

Vent your spleen as much as you like, :s_thumbsup but with the figures in the article, the reality is the situation will not change anytime soon.

Besides, your vehicle operates in one of the lower risk environments for this. Glesga is hardly hot an humid. I'd live with the tiny risk and worry about something else.

Quote:

"Mazda and Toyota have said that they will not use Takata for ammonium-nitrate inflators, but could deal with the company if it used a different propellant."
My RAV4 Average: ImageImageImage

My Urban Cruiser Average: ImageImageImage

This post is © 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 rav4driversclub.com
shcm
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: RAV 4.4 Hybrid
Year: 2016
Trim Level: Excel with TSS
Fuel Type: Petrol/Electric
Other Vehicle: Urban Cruiser
Trim: 1.4 D4D

PostPosted by anchorman » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:11 am

Good info. Safety devices on cars depend largely on what kind of accident you are going to have and without that info they are often a compromise. A seat belt will often break somebody's sternum but I'd still rather buckle up my kids than risk them not have it. Even "perfect" seat belts and airbags can cause burns and other injuries. I believe the manufacturers have done their homework and now seeing the article Andy has posted I can see why they are doing what they are doing. I really would stop worrying about it
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

PostPosted by Hoovie » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:20 pm

"....In fact, 90% of the required replacements are expected to be made by companies other than Takata......"

So as I supposed, if the industry REALLY did want to deal with the airbag debarcle in a timely way, they could. But they are simply not bothering to, as there is no money in it. It is far more lucrative to focus on new car sales and making sure airbags are available for them.
As I said, this is not a question or matter of "don't worry, tiniest probability of a problem, especially in the damp cold UK", but it is a matter how a safety recall is being managed appalling.
I would not be shocked to learn that a CBA has been carried out on the cost of settling injury lawsuits vs lost revenue due to increasing replacement airbag production.
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by Big Kev » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:34 pm

Mins.....Mins......Mins.........apart from what damage could be done to wife's face, good airbag or faulty wan........

I am actually not WORRIED that much.......just splenting my veen at what has become more of a SERVICE issue........you are given what I consider an imaginary date......it gets cancelled because it is on back order, which they knew about weeks ago. The fact that I drove back from Morayshire to keep the appointment kinda hisses me off too. (3 farking hours +) Then you ask the person to escalate the situation to his boss, and ask to be phoned back.......but nowt happens on a " he will go away" basis. Well he will.......to another main dealer for his MOT and 4 year service, without phoning to cancel appointment at original dealer. The distance and speed that Funnerburd Too actually travels almost precludes worry about a bliddy airbag........it is recalling how I used to get sent up Calvary with a bag of nails and two bits of wood because a corrugated box failed, and these people just ignore their customers.

Ran Tover.......for now....... :s_blush
"Nobody knows where my Johnnie has gone"........why sing about a missing condom....?
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

Primary Vehicle: Rav4
Trim Level: SR Auto
Other Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2004
Trim: Granite
Fuel Type: Petrol 3 Door.

PostPosted by Uncle bob » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:15 am

Airbag recall letter dropped on the doormat today :rolleyes: ....all I can do it put the garage details i p/x it to and send it back .
Letter basically says they have the parts in stock and read to do it at my convenience.
Past Rav4's owned......
1996 import 3 door RAV4 J type.
2004 XT3 3 door.
RAV4 DRIVERS CLUB. The number one choice for UK Rav4 owners.
My big jobs thread....post15823.html#p15823
Uncle bob
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Lexus
Year: 2003
Trim Level: SC430
Other Vehicle: Toyota Aygo
Year: 2006
Trim: Sport

PostPosted by webbrowan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:17 am

It is never easy to know whether your own car is affected by recalls. Whenever such an unfortunate scenario were to happen, I would just bring my car to the dealer so that they can check first-hand right there and then through their system. Calling in or writing in will not have an immediate response and it is better to just be safe than sorry.
webbrowan

PostPosted by nickcc » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:30 am

The recall letter states the Vin and reg number of your car so no doubt that your car needs the new airbag. When you ring your local dealer, who is listed on a seperate pamphlet, he will check on their system using the VIN.
RAV4 2.0 VVT-I XTR auto November 2005.
nickcc
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: RAV 4.2
Year: 2005

PreviousNext

Return to Car Talk