Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Toyota and Nissan airbag recall.

Section for general chatting about your RAV4 or other Rides ... What you do with it, how to use it, where you been in it, or not been in it, we don't mind... It's a free world!
Oh, If you want to get all technical, the Technical Questions and Info could be the place to go.

Re: Toyota and Nissan airbag recall.

PostPosted by jase hutch » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:32 am

I received another letter from Toyota yesterday, basically stating what we already know but reminding us of the huge scale of this recall, but still no indication as to when the parts may be available.....
jase hutch
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: 4.2. 3dr
Year: 2004
Trim Level: XT3
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ
Year: 2011
Trim: Auto
Fuel Type: Petrol

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:19 am

jase hutch wrote:I received another letter from Toyota yesterday, basically stating what we already know but reminding us of the huge scale of this recall, but still no indication as to when the parts may be available.....

Did they include a reminder that they can sell and supply you with a brand new car tomorrow with up to TEN airbags fitted if you didn't want to wait until upto 2019 to have the ONE suspect airbag in your RAV replaced?

Too little and still way too late :s_no
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Citroen DS5 μ-Hybrid
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by Big Kev » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:59 am

Stuff this for a game of soajirs.......time to ask for both Ravs' airbags to be switched aff until new bags are in.
"Nobody knows where my Johnnie has gone"........why sing about a missing condom....?
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

Primary Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SR Auto
Other Vehicle: Rav4
Trim: Granite
Fuel Type: Petrol 3 Door.

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:07 pm

We had a letter from Honda suggesting our 2012 CRV would probably have a recall for an airbag but no detail or timescale!
RAV4 Drivers Club, the best Toyota RAV4 forum in the UK!

Previous owner of LC3, RAV 4.3 2.2 diesel and 4.3 XT4 2.0 petrol, and many other Toyotas!

DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: Honda CRV Auto
Trim Level: SE+
Other Vehicle: Honda Jazz CVT
Trim: EX

PostPosted by Uncle bob » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:28 am

Received a second letter today just saying ...high demand etc ..you will be contacted as soon as parts become available, all a bit late for me as vehicle sold on , not sure if to sent the letter to the garage and let them pass it on to the new owner or put it I the shredder ?
Past Rav4's owned......
1996 import 3 door RAV4 J type.
2004 XT3 3 door.
RAV4 DRIVERS CLUB. The number one choice for UK Rav4 owners.
My big jobs thread....post15823.html#p15823
Uncle bob
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Lexus
Year: 2003
Trim Level: SC430
Other Vehicle: Toyota Aygo
Year: 2006
Trim: Sport

PostPosted by Big Kev » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:23 pm

Speaking frankfully, I thought Hoovie was over egging how totally pish this debacle has become......READ ON........

In June I told them I wanted wife's suspect airbag nullified until they got their digits oot their bums and supplied the revised airbag. They said no they would not switch it off, but here you are sir.......an appointment for 31/8 to do the recall job.

I SWEAR ON MY LATE BUDGIE'S LIFE.......I looked into a mirror and bet myself that nearer the time they would phone and tell me they had limited stocks or the bliddy thing was on 14 years back order.......

I got said phone call today, deferring until some date in September..........

I HEREBY ACCUSE ANY AND ALL TOYOTA FRANCHISES OF BEING LYING GITS, AND THIS PLOY IS BEING FARMED AROUND ALL FRANCHISES, THE ONE IN QUESTION HERE BEING ARNOLD CLARK AT BISHOPBRIGGS, A PLACE I HAVE SPENT MUCH HARD EARNED CASH WITH. MY CAR BOOKED IN HERE 8/9 FOR MOT AND 4th YEAR SERVICE........I WILL BE GOING ELSEWHERE FORTHWITH UNANNOUNCED TO THEM........

SPHINCTI........ :s_bye
"Nobody knows where my Johnnie has gone"........why sing about a missing condom....?
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

PostPosted by anchorman » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:13 am

I know this is a big concern to some of you and I understand that but if I was in the same position I would not want it disconnecting. I suspect that is why they aren’t running round disconnecting them on a campaign, because the risk is less. Since this all came to light, there will have been hundreds of these things deploy in an accident and worked as they should. A steering wheel is a heavy thing and if I got hold of one and swung it into somebody’s face I reckon I would seriously injure or kill them. I can’t swing a steering wheel as hard as a driver would hit one in an accident where the airbag should have gone off.

Just my opinion.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

PostPosted by Hoovie » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:27 am

The bit I find hard to accept and sticks in my craw is that this recall is slated to not finish until 2019 due to the problem making enough airbags, but the same manufacturers are making millions and millions and millions of cars with god knows how many airbags in each one (think we are up to 11 in some cases), so there is clearly a priority of new vehicle production over fault rectification.
Plus the airbags in the recalled vehicles need inspection, and not neccessirly replacement as I understand it, so 5,000,000 vehicles recalled might add up to just 500,000 airbags replaced maybe - equivalent to 50,000 new vehicles in terms of air bag count, or around 1% of Toyotas annual airbag production/usage. Airbag production capacity problem my arse!
Prioritisation problem more like .... "Sir has a problem with airbag? Sorry, can't replace today and don't know when we will do. Have you considered changing to a new car anyway, these have lots of good airbags in them for your safety"
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Citroen DS5 μ-Hybrid
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by anchorman » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:21 pm

Maybe the supplier can’t keep up.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

PostPosted by Big Kev » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:25 pm

anchorman wrote:I know this is a big concern to some of you and I understand that but if I was in the same position I would not want it disconnecting. I suspect that is why they aren’t running round disconnecting them on a campaign, because the risk is less. Since this all came to light, there will have been hundreds of these things deploy in an accident and worked as they should. A steering wheel is a heavy thing and if I got hold of one and swung it into somebody’s face I reckon I would seriously injure or kill them. I can’t swing a steering wheel as hard as a driver would hit one in an accident where the airbag should have gone off.

Just my opinion.

Opinion received and totally accepted, Don, but like Toyota I have another objective/agenda. Their alternative agenda is to sell vehicles with air bags now not suspect. My other agenda is to NOT have one of these things exploding in the face of someone who is FAR FAR CLOSER TO IT and its pyrotechnic power, capable of inflicting severe facial and/or thoracic damage as has been documented. Then, due to the proximity of the vertically challenged driver, the bag does not get to fully deploy/do its job, so she sticks the heid on the steering wheel regardless. Having been knocked oot by the bag inflating at least she won't feel the wheel........
All that apart, I am convinced they, Toyota, are doing an "NHS Numbers Fiddle" by giving people dates they know fine bliddy well they cannot honour, then phoning those affected with an alternative date......makes them look interested when they actually are not. Only ones making anything out of this is indeed the fitting dealer invoicing Toyota.
My next car will have lamps that stay brighter longer.......
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

PreviousNext