Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Toyota rav 4 2l d4d 2002 model

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

Re: Toyota rav 4 2l d4d 2002 model

PostPosted by Mcanulty1 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:02 pm

They were new ones he had for a car and didn't use them , am wondering would the problem be a electrical one now That i. have nearly covered all the fuel points !! Jeep goes on slightest off a push and drives well wen going
Mcanulty1

PostPosted by anchorman » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:50 pm

Mcanulty1 wrote:They were new ones he had for a car and didn't use them , am wondering would the problem be a electrical one now That i. have nearly covered all the fuel points !! Jeep goes on slightest off a push and drives well wen going

It turns over fast enough? These things can suffer with battery problems.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

PostPosted by Serratia » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:18 pm

What anchorman has just said about the fuel pump being timed correctly rings true for me. I'm having my own battles with low down hesitation and my mechanic now thinks the timing could be a tooth out causing the injectors to be firing too early or too late, resulting in the bit of lag I get when pulling off. That's my next port of call.
Serratia
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: Rav 4.2
Year: 2005
Trim Level: XTR
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota Celica
Year: 2003
Trim: Greddy Supercharged
Fuel Type: V power

PostPosted by anchorman » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:34 pm

That can't quite happen. The injectors don't get an individual squirt of diesel from the high pressure pump, they get a share of fuel stored in a common reservoir called the fuel rail. However, the pressure in the fuel rail pulses as a result of the pumping elements (pistons for want of a better description) as they follow a cam in the HP pump. The timing of the pump is synchronised so the pulses of pressure mTch the injector demand. It is therefor possibly for the pump and the injectors to be out of phase with each other.
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by Serratia » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:23 pm

Do you still think that could account for my lag/hesitation when pulling off?
Serratia
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

PostPosted by anchorman » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:59 pm

Serratia wrote:Do you still think that could account for my lag/hesitation when pulling off?

Well let's just say that it cured that other one but these things are flippin awkward to sort sometimes.

My mate has one of these 4.2 diesels and I've looked after it from new. The big difference is that I know what's happened to it because I'm the only one that's done anything. It has had a new EGR valve because he ignored the warnings about supermarket fuel. That is now stored as a serviceable spare because after cleaning it out, a tin of BG244 and a switch to branded fuel it cured itself anyway. We only fitted the new Denso valve because we had it.

I'm reluctant to be conclusive with yours because we don't know if somebody "fiddled" with it in an earlier life. There is a PDFs somewhere with the timing marks on so you can check when you get chance but make no mistake, you need to give yourself plenty of time just to get the covers off. You are a good way towards changing those injectors so fingers crossed, it cures it completely. :s_thumbsup

And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by Serratia » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:39 pm

Already changed them mate, check my thread :s_biggrin
Serratia
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

PostPosted by anchorman » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:02 am

Serratia wrote:Already changed them mate, check my thread :s_biggrin

I didn't know you finished. Did it work?

And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by Mcanulty1 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:20 pm

Hi lads just wondering is the injectors in the Rav4 2 pin or 4 pin thank s Kieran !!!
Mcanulty1

PostPosted by anchorman » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:51 am

Somebody posted some photos.

And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Previous

Return to SUV Technical Q & A