Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

Multi-Tools (Dremel and similar)

Into Do-It-Yourself? Put the brush away and drop in to DIY World!

Multi-Tools (Dremel and similar)

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:18 pm

There was some talk a few days ago about Multi-Tools, such as Dremels and their 'clones'. I thought I would just post a few things I have bought and find handy, or maybe not so handy on the Multi-tool scene.
If anyone has anything they recommend, please add to the discussion. (same goes for anything they would recommend staying away from!)

OK ... this is what I have:
(links are to Amazon as easy to find product description there!)

Dremel 3000 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-3000-Mul ... remel+3000)
Mains Driven Multi-tool. Bought this back in 2006 or 2007. Probably the entry-level Dremel. The Speed settings are more limited then the 4000 model, so could be a factor to consider depending on what you want to use the tool for?

Dremel 8200 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-Cordless ... rds=dremel)
Battery Driven Multi-tool. Bought this one in 2013 after seeing Big Kevs tool ( :rolleyes: ). Tend to use this one more then the Mains one as it is just handy not to have to plug in. Battery lasts a long time and seems to have as much power as the 3000.

Dremel 2615448632 Keyless Quick Change Multi Tool Chuck 4486 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-26154486 ... _diy_img_y)
Eliminates the need for the tightening spanner and collect swapping. Would be handy if this was standard, but it isn't. Very handy device. I have this on the battery Dremel and maybe that is why I use it more then the mains Dremel, thinking about it! :s_yes

Dremel Speed Clic Cutting Kit (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-Speed-Cl ... 16R6P39CFT)
The standard accessory kit doesn't really contain any decent heavier-duty cutting tools I have found, but this Set is brilliant! it is just seconds to change cutting disc and they are robust. Discs are not cheap and being so small, wear fast, so is not a substitute for a grinder by any means, but for cutting in very confined areas... excellent.

Dremel Multipurpose Cutting Kit (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-26150565 ... 5NMDKGM54E)
This came with the Dremel 300 kit I bought. Used it a couple of times as a poor mans router to make a IKEA-style hinge hole in a cupboard door. Worked ok and I guess the job would have been a little trickier without it.

Dremel Detailer's Grip Attachment (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-26150577 ... 5NMDKGM54E)
This grip came with the Dremel 8200 Kit and I found it very useful when using the Dremel for precision drilling as it allows you to hold the tool more naturally in terms of wrist position.

There are countless and numerous accessory packs containing masses of bits for Multi-tools, so I won't link to any specific ones, but what I have noticed is that about 75% of the bits you will probably not use, so I'd suggest you buy one good value set and then see what you do use and what you don't, and refresh your supplies accordingly :s_yes

Oh, and a couple of items that just purchased and not really used in anger yet:

Dremel Multi Vice (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-26152500 ... 5NMDKGM54E)
Now I was after a vice to hold small items securely and has bought a little clamp one for a tenner last year. This Dremel one appears nice and flexible with the angles you can set it at. Although fairly heavy physically, I would not say it is heavy-duty at all, with the adjustments being with plastic threads, so very much a quality hobbiest type of product.
Price of this is £30, which I am not convinced it is worth, although the reviews are overwhelmingly very positive. I bought mine earlier this week from a friend who had two and only needed the one, and wanted just £15 for it, which I DO think it is easily worth :s_smile

Dremel Workstation (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-26150220 ... _diy_img_z)
One of the things I have been looking for is a Pillar-drill type affair, again for fairly light use (when I have used my brothers "proper" pillar drill, it is so much better and easier then holding onto a hand drill and drilling into smallish items), and decided to bite the bullet and get this. Put it together this evening and it feels solid and I am pretty sure it will do the job I want.
You can also rotate and lock the tool mount at 15 degree increments, with a key position being 90 degrees so the tool is on its side and can be used as a hands-free cutter or grinder. Again, no substitute for a bench grinder for general grinding duties, but for precision work, I think it would be perfect!
(I bought mine from Amazon, but went for the £27 'Amazon Warehouse' one rather then the £33 option - product had been opened already, but unused and complete)

Well, that is my list of Multi-Tool items that I have and do use (or will use)
What I have - or rather HAD - is a cheap dremel-like battery tool - battery tended to die within 10 mins of using it and was pretty pants. it was very cheap but still a waste of money.
And a Multi-tool mains tool as part of a accessory kit. It was powerful, but the speed kept fluctuating because the control adjustment loosened due to excessive vibration. Gave that away (but kept the accessories :s_biggrin )
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

Re: Multi-Tools (Dremel and similar)

PostPosted by Uncle bob » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:57 am

The speedclic cutting discs look a bit more substantial that the skinny black ones that come with most kits, they tend to disintegrate very quickly :s_sad saying that £17 is a bit of a :shok: :shok:
Past Rav4's owned......
1996 import 3 door RAV4 J type.
2004 XT3 3 door.
RAV4 DRIVERS CLUB. The number one choice for UK Rav4 owners.
My big jobs thread....post15823.html#p15823
Uncle bob
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Lexus
Year: 2003
Trim Level: SC430
Other Vehicle: Toyota Aygo
Year: 2006
Trim: Sport

PostPosted by jase hutch » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:40 pm

That's an interesting read Hoovie. :s_thumbsup
jase hutch
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: 4.2. 3dr
Year: 2004
Trim Level: XT3
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ
Year: 2011
Trim: Auto

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:12 pm

Uncle bob wrote:The speedclic cutting discs look a bit more substantial that the skinny black ones that come with most kits, they tend to disintegrate very quickly :s_sad saying that £17 is a bit of a :shok: :shok:

Those thin black ones do tend to fall apart as soon as you put pressure on, so very limited use I found - and are fiddly to replace! The amount of times I ended up searching on the floor for the little screw on the holder after dropping it while changing them. This was why I tried the speedclic type. Pricey, but so much better and easier to use.
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

Return to DIY