Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

turbo actuator vsv problems

If you have a Technical Question about your Toyota RAV4 or other SUV then this is the place to post it in!
Forum rules
Please note all information is provided with good intention, but provided as is, with no guarantee given or implied.

You should make you own investigations and validation of information and the RAV4 Drivers Club will not be held responsible for any errors and incidents due to information provided here

Work Safely and within your own capabilities and experience

Re: turbo actuator vsv problems

PostPosted by anchorman » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:41 am

Here's the pdf;

Valve layout.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

PostPosted by anchorman » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:47 am

jimmy12345 wrote:I am pretty sure the problem is that the vsv is not getting the signal to drop the voltage so the valve can open up and stop the vacuum , where its needs to get its signal from is probably from one of the many sensors im thinking ?

I'm not so sure Jimmy. These can be fickle things when they want.

Listen, just humour me and get that fuel filter changed first. I've seen really good mechanics arse about for days and spend vast quanitities of money before finding the filter was the cause.

After you've done that (and I really don't want to discuss this much further until you do), we will get into the other possibilities but you need to change that filter then clear those code while we see what is really going on. This could be SCVs but lets see what we've got after doing the above. I will pm my phone number as we can discuss an awful lot while I'm trying to type!
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:48 am

anchorman wrote:.... I need to post this or my eye pad will kindly lose it for me........

If you need to switch between windows when posting, do a "select all" then "copy" in case your typing gets wiped out - or post and then edit to update.
I keep meaning to try another browser to see if it is iPad generally or Safari (it is nothing to do with this forum, it's an iPad problem)
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by anchorman » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:51 am

Hoovie wrote:
anchorman wrote:.... I need to post this or my eye pad will kindly lose it for me........

If you need to switch between windows when posting, do a "select all" then "copy" in case your typing gets wiped out - or post and then edit to update.
I keep meaning to try another browser to see if it is iPad generally or Safari (it is nothing to do with this forum, it's an iPad problem)

I think you'll find the correct term is eye pad David. I thought you were good on computers :s_biggrin

And another thing......

anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by jimmy12345 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:04 pm

ordered fuel filter of ebay should be here tuesday, just had codes cleared
had to disconnect pipe from vsv for it to drive but seems a bit more get up and go when you give it some gas, probably down to the new maf i just put on !
at 1 point it felt like it was flying turbo coming in nicely then hit 65 mph and power go's
thanks for all the info and will be back once i changed the fuel filter and as you say we can go from there
cheers
forgot to say that the diagnostics was saying that the egr was off ???
jimmy12345
Club Member
Club Member

PostPosted by anchorman » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:50 pm

Order a tin of BG244 off amazon Jim. It needs to go in a full tank of fuel them when you are down to quarter full, give it a proper thrashing up a good hill when the engine is hot. It will burn off a good amount of carbon and MAY free off the EGR.

Treat supermarket diesel like larks vomit. Branded fuel only and preferably high grade which is laced with detergents.

These are just preventative. You may have to do a bit more after the filter is changed.

And another thing......

anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by dave.m » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:24 pm

Hoovie wrote:

I am using Google Chrome on the I Pad and don't get this problem, maybe Don should try it. :s_thumbsup
dave.m
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 no 4
Fuel Type: Hybrid

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:14 pm

dave.m wrote:
Hoovie wrote:

I am using Google Chrome on the I Pad and don't get this problem, maybe Don should try it. :s_thumbsup

I'll try it as well - I am sure Don has the same issue as I do and it is REALLY ANNOYING!
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by jimmy12345 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:27 pm

afternoon gentlemen

pdf shown is different to mine there are two vsv one brown one black , tested brown vsv from ports E-G AND G-E , air can be blown both directions until you apply volltage and visa versa applying voltage air blows out of filter , so if air can be blown with no voltage would this be my problem , tried the wd40 treatment still the same .
any testing info for the actuator vsv as this is different from the later ?

have removed ( fuel filter ) ready for new one to be delivered and didnt realise there was a float type sensor that connected to the bottom of it, so apologise for the comment !! cleaned particles of metal from sliding float area, was wondering if the float has a metal ring inside that makes the contact inside the filter and is that where the metal particals are from ?? or from the fuel pump not that im worried about that at the moment

thanks again hope you all had a good weekend less hangovers
jimmy12345
Club Member
Club Member

PostPosted by anchorman » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:51 pm

Probably some crap from the tank. The float detracts water and puts a light up on the dash. It's more for third world countries where fuel contamination is likely. You could open that little tap and drain it off without taking the filter off. I will see what other PDFs I've got when I'm at home.

And another thing......

anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to SUV Technical Q & A