Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

How to Show Images on the RAV4 Drivers Club

Posts on how to use the Forum Features, Posting Files, Setting Time Zones, Displays Styles etc. Got a tip for fellow members? Post it here. Want a Feature and cannot find? Ask here!

How to Show Images on the RAV4 Drivers Club

PostPosted by Hoovie » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:26 pm

On the RAV4 Drivers Club we have a finite storage area. At the moment, we have loads left and space is not an issue, but as the club grows, obviously this space will start to be consumed, and it would be best served being put primarily to technical documents and how-do downloads in PDF and similar document formats. If we take this approach from the start, then it will mean we can avoid having to cull files later on if storage becomes an issue.

To this end, We are going to request that rather then uploading photos onto the site, that an Image Hosting Company is used instead to upload images to, and then those images linked to within the topic. This will both keep storage space freed up for other purposes on the Forum, and allow better image management for users anyway.

As far as Image Hosting Services go, there are many to chose from. Popular sites include Photobucket (http://photobucket.com/) and ImageShack (http://imageshack.us) to name a few. These are free to join and all give a significant amount of storage space for free.

With regards to image size, the resolution of digital cameras far exceed those of Computer Screens, and if you were to show an image at its native resolution on a screen, it would require a very very large screen!
For example, the image I am using in this thread was taken by a 5MP Pentax DSLR camera I bought in 2006 and the pixel width is over 3000, A newer camera would have much higher resolution, take a picture creating an bigger picture, with even Camera Phones in the 10MP or better capacity now (the top Nokia is now 38MP usable!)
In contrast, the resolution of a Full HD TV Screen is 1980x1080 Pixels (and this is the very maximum a typical domestic home computer screen would likely have). Taking into account space for scroll bars, text areas for mini-profile etc and the likelyhood the browser will not be maximised, it is unlikely that an image would want to be displayed at anything near to its native size on a computer monitor.

Example usage of showing images on this forum:

This is a Thumbnail of that picture that is hosted on Photobucket.
(note the thumbnail is generated by the Image Hosting Service (Photobucket in this case), and you would just copy and past the code provided by them)

You see the entire picture, just miniaturised, and to see the image as hosted, you then click on hit and a new window will open on that hosting site.

The following image is using the default Photobucket setting of 1024x768 Resolution for link sharing

If you look carefully you may likely find the image is truncated at the right of the sreen, chopping off some of the picture?
The degree of truncation depends on the resolution of the device being used and the size of the web browser window (if you are seeing the full picture and not understanding what I am referring to, make your browser window smaller to demonstrate)
The result of this is that you cannot be sure that the readers of your posts will see the full picture (literally!) as you don't know what device they will be using to view the forum.

*it should be noted that other forum styles may have different results i.e. Subsilver will not truncate the image but the text on the whole page, including all menus will shrink proportionately, which at larger image resolutions could make the screen text unreadable (though the picture will look fine! )

Consequently, the Forum recommendation for picture size is to display them no larger then 700 Pixel width as that is the size that seems to deliver the best compromise between a nicely viewable image and compatibility across commonly used browsing devices, such as Desktops with large screens, Laptops, Netbooks and Tablets.

I make this simple to do, I have introduced a new "BBCode" called 'ResiZe' found in the ribbon above the text typing window:
resize.JPG

What this will do is to review the image width, and if it is larger then 700Px, it will shrink the displayed image size to that 700Px size. The key thing is that it will not simply truncate the image, it will resize its presentation, so the whole picture is maintained, but just in a smaller view.

So again, the Thumbnail:

And the Picture, resized by the forum to max of 700Px

As you can see, the whole of the photo is now seen.

To use the ResiZe code, it is very simple - just copy the address from the Image Hosting Service you are using - so in the case above, it would be the address in the code window:
Code: Select all
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z50/Hoovie_bucket/Test/birdinsnow_zps9e5fb67e.jpg

Note you do not want [URL] or [IMG] type tags to use ResiZe,just the address starting "http" and ending .jpg (or .gif, etc)

Then highlight the address and click 'ResiZe' and that is it! You will see in the text window the data as shown in the code window and when you submit the picture will appear, correctly sized for the forum :s_thumbsup
Code: Select all
[resize]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z50/Hoovie_bucket/Test/birdinsnow_zps9e5fb67e.jpg[/resize]

If you prefer to just use the IMG Tags, then you can do, but please note that other users experience may be compromised and under no circumstances should any images be posted that display at a greater width then 1024Px

You can also just put the address of the image in the text e.g. http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z50/ ... 5fb67e.jpg and just the address is seen and to see it, the reader would just click on the URL address :s_smile

I hope this helps with posting of pictures on threads and if anyone needs any assistance with getting started with Photobucket or the like, please shout :s_shout

NOTES:
Please check the T&Cs of the Image Hosting Service you decide to use.
For Example, Flikcr has some fairly restrictive (IMO) guidelines here and one key one which could be plain annoying is:
Do link back to Flickr when you post your Flickr content elsewhere.
Flickr makes it possible to post content hosted on Flickr to other web sites. However, pages on other web sites that display content hosted on flickr.com must provide a link from each photo or video back to its page on Flickr

So if you want to show an image hosted by Flickr in a thread, you must include with it text with its flickr origin (not aware of similar stipulations elsewhere on other services?)

I have setup a new account on PB under the name of 'RAV4DriversClub' which I will use to post any pictures I am sent if anyone is stuck using an Image Host.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Citroen DS5 μ-Hybrid
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

Re: How to Show Images on the RAV4 Drivers Club

PostPosted by Paulus17 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:31 pm

So if i upload a full size image in now David and click on resize it will reduce it to the required size??
Paulus17
Club Master
Club Master

PostPosted by Paulus17 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:55 pm

Also when you load a piccy from Photobucket using the GET LINKS remove all the url part from the link and just leave the img part,this will then just show the image not all your PB account.
HTH.
Paulus17
Club Master
Club Master

PostPosted by Hoovie » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:15 pm

Paulus17 wrote:So if i upload a full size image in now David and click on resize it will reduce it to the required size??

No, the ResiZe will act on HTML Code when showing pictures on external sites
The idea is not to actually upload pictures onto the forum in fact :s_smile If an image is uploaded, then the size will not be changed, but its display on screen will automatically be set to a maximum width or a thumbnail created instead.

Paulus17 wrote:Also when you load a piccy from Photobucket using the GET LINKS remove all the url part from the link and just leave the img part,this will then just show the image not all your PB account.
HTH.

On PhotoBucket, What I do if I just want the address with no code around it (so I can apply the ResiZe code) is go to the image I am after and chose the 'Direct' option from the "Share Links" menu....
FBLinks.jpg

no removal of anything needed that way :s_thumbsup

I don't really use any other Image Hosting sites, so can't comment on exactly what to do there, other then say there are bound to be similar options.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Citroen DS5 μ-Hybrid
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by Paulus17 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:06 pm

Any one else having problems when they go onto Photobucket?
Every time i go on lately it takes an age for the piccys to load but today i just gave up as i just couldn't get an image to load onto this forum.
So i opened an account with Imageshack and the same image loaded straight away so the issue must be with PB??
Paulus17
Club Master
Club Master

Return to Forum How To's & Wish List