Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

What's The Alternatives/Other SUV News

Section for general chatting about your RAV4 or other Rides ... What you do with it, how to use it, where you been in it, or not been in it, we don't mind... It's a free world!
Oh, If you want to get all technical, the Technical Questions and Info could be the place to go.

Re: What's The Alternatives/Other SUV News

PostPosted by dave.m » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:40 pm

dave.m
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 no 4
Fuel Type: Hybrid

PostPosted by Davrav » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:36 pm

Looks as if they forgot to apply the rest of the trim should have been along the sides :s_scratchhead
RAV4 Drivers Club - For all things RAV4 and much, much more!
Davrav
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: RAV4 4.3
Year: 2008
Trim Level: XTR+
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Mitsubishi ASX
Year: 2017
Trim: Auto

PostPosted by dave.m » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:10 pm

dave.m
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by dave.m » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:41 am

dave.m
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by dave.m » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:49 pm

dave.m
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by jolak » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:54 pm

I don't know if this is a phase that I will come out of or a bit of male menopause, but I feel I need a change from the Rav, which I've had from new in 2011, done 90,000 + trouble free miles and it's my third Toyota. I had a Lindop chip kit installed about a year ago, which made it better. It tows my 1.5 ton caravan admirably and gives me good economy for normal driving.
Unfortunately, it's starting to sound and feel a bit worn and second hand. It's making noises it didn't make before and bodywork has a few scabs (which I'm getting sorted soon).
I've explored the market and I'm drawn towards a new Kia Sorento, the 2.2 diesel 197bhp, which is a bit bigger than the Rav and to be honest, I don't need the extra space, but the superior towing ability is tempting - or maybe it's just that I need a new toy!
I go to France for 4 to 6 weeks at a time and have nightmares about breaking down and being shafted by a French Toyota Dealer or Independent Garage.
Around 30 grand is my budget and in my opinion, the new Rav hasn't got anything that draws me to it - in fact, I would rather keep the one I've got.
I've always driven with mechanical sympathy, used top quality lubricants etc and I know I'd be doing someone a big favour by parting with it for the 6 grand I might get.
Should I go for another 90,000 miles in my Rav, saving myself a wad of money as I don't work any more, or should I have a dabble with a Kia?
The sensible option would be to keep the Rav, I imagine.
Does anyone have firsthand knowledge or experience with the Kia Sorento to give me some advice on the matter?
jolak
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by anchorman » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:43 am

jolak wrote:I don't know if this is a phase that I will come out of or a bit of male menopause, but I feel I need a change from the Rav, which I've had from new in 2011, done 90,000 + trouble free miles and it's my third Toyota. I had a Lindop chip kit installed about a year ago, which made it better. It tows my 1.5 ton caravan admirably and gives me good economy for normal driving.
Unfortunately, it's starting to sound and feel a bit worn and second hand. It's making noises it didn't make before and bodywork has a few scabs (which I'm getting sorted soon).
I've explored the market and I'm drawn towards a new Kia Sorento, the 2.2 diesel 197bhp, which is a bit bigger than the Rav and to be honest, I don't need the extra space, but the superior towing ability is tempting - or maybe it's just that I need a new toy!
I go to France for 4 to 6 weeks at a time and have nightmares about breaking down and being shafted by a French Toyota Dealer or Independent Garage.
Around 30 grand is my budget and in my opinion, the new Rav hasn't got anything that draws me to it - in fact, I would rather keep the one I've got.
I've always driven with mechanical sympathy, used top quality lubricants etc and I know I'd be doing someone a big favour by parting with it for the 6 grand I might get.
Should I go for another 90,000 miles in my Rav, saving myself a wad of money as I don't work any more, or should I have a dabble with a Kia?
The sensible option would be to keep the Rav, I imagine.
Does anyone have firsthand knowledge or experience with the Kia Sorento to give me some advice on the matter?

I can only tell you that Kia’s are very well put together and closely follow Japanese production techniques.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

PostPosted by Big Kev » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:32 am

Was very impressed with a parked up Sorrento only recently......looks very nice and smart interior.
"Nobody knows where my Johnnie has gone"........why sing about a missing condom....?
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

Primary Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SR Auto
Other Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2004
Trim: Granite
Fuel Type: Petrol 3 Door.

PostPosted by jolak » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:41 pm

so was I Kev. I haven't driven one yet though. Good thing is that the different Kia Dealers are competing to give the best deal. I went on that CarWow website where you specify what you want and they get quotes from five different dealers. I tried getting quotes for a new Skoda Kodiaq and I got five quotes all at the same manufacturers recommended price of 30845. With Kia Dealers, I got quotes ranging from 27458 to 30364 and the RRP is 32910. I would personally have more confidence in a far eastern built product as the Koreans are trying to outdo the Japs. Still thinking about it anyway.
jolak
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

PostPosted by anchorman » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:32 pm

There's a new CX-5 in June.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

PreviousNext

Return to Car Talk