Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

space save spare

Section for general chatting about your RAV4 or other Rides ... What you do with it, how to use it, where you been in it, or not been in it, we don't mind... It's a free world!
Oh, If you want to get all technical, the Technical Questions and Info could be the place to go.

space save spare

PostPosted by 4raver » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:16 am

Which space saver wheel will fit my Rav 2010.....someone said one from a 17 inch avensis will do the job....I am going to France and Switzerland soon and would like the added reassurance of a spare. Thanks in advance.
4raver
'100 Club' Member
'100 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: D4D 2.2 XTR
Year: 2010
Trim Level: XTR
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Yaris 1.4 D4D
Year: 2012

Re: space save spare

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:44 am

4raver wrote:Which space saver wheel will fit my Rav 2010.....someone said one from a 17 inch avensis will do the job....I am going to France and Switzerland soon and would like the added reassurance of a spare. Thanks in advance.

Don't forget a spacesaver will only get you 50 miles at 50MPH max, so if you're going stick a spare in the boot, might make sense to go for a full-sized spare which will be much more useful IMO.
The diameter of a spacesaver and a full-size is the same, so the only extra space taken is the height, and if you place the wheel upside down, you'll have that big wheel well to use for storage of bits and pieces to compensate.
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by Metal Mickey » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:54 am

Hoovie wrote:
4raver wrote:Which space saver wheel will fit my Rav 2010.....someone said one from a 17 inch avensis will do the job....I am going to France and Switzerland soon and would like the added reassurance of a spare. Thanks in advance.

Don't forget a spacesaver will only get you 50 miles at 50MPH max, so if you're going stick a spare in the boot, might make sense to go for a full-sized spare which will be much more useful IMO.
The diameter of a spacesaver and a full-size is the same, so the only extra space taken is the height, and if you place the wheel upside down, you'll have that big wheel well to use for storage of bits and pieces to compensate.

Hi....i gotta agree with David here as i feel to go for a long trip abroad without a full sized spare is risky. I just wondered if, understandably you don't want to buy one perhaps you know a local fellow club member that could loan you theirs. I went the whole hog when i bought my Rav4, it wasn't even a year old then but i ended up buying a full sized spare and new tyre, total cost around £460, yep heaps of dosh but in my case i'm pleased i did as i got a puncture and all the usual grief that goes with it but simply fitting a proper wheel made the situation much easier.......incidentally a full size spare wheel and tyre just lays flat in the boot and the door closes but yes takes up lots of space.
Good luck and enjoy your break, Mike.
Metal Mickey

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:14 am

Also ... If you manage to find a matching alloy and full-size tyre, then with tyre rotation, the tyre itself will become "free" and its just the cost of the wheel itself (occasionally found on eBay for £70 ish)

Not the cheapest, but its for sale and lot cheaper then brand new ....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Rav-4- ... 58b057aa83

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

PostPosted by 4raver » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:53 am

Yep I'm going to have to bite the bullit and buy one...I might go see Motorsport wheels and buy a generic lookaliky....should be able to get wheel and tyre for about £120.00. Unless I can find one on the eBay.
4raver
'100 Club' Member
'100 Club' Member

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:56 am

4raver wrote:Yep I'm going to have to bite the bullit and buy one...I might go see Motorsport wheels and buy a generic lookaliky....should be able to get wheel and tyre for about £120.00. Unless I can find one on the eBay.

Just a little note... Remember to check the PCD (60.1) as well as the stud pattern (5 x 114.3) - many vendors and most buyers disregard that and end up with potentially unsafe wheels :s_sad

Hoovie
Admin
Admin

PostPosted by Davrav » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:39 pm

A full second set of wheels is also an option - use them for winter tyres and keep one in the boot.
Not sure if these are correct size but:
[ebay]
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SET-OF-4-GENU ... 4622af3d9d[/ebay]
or:

[ebay]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-RAV4-RAV-4-ALLOY-WHEEL-WITH-TYRE-225-65-17-17-INCH-2006-2007-2008-2009-/251548278430?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET&hash=item3a91721e9e[/ebay]

for a singleton.

Do check sizes are compatible if you go this route :s_thumbsup
RAV4 Drivers Club - For all things RAV4 and much, much more!
Davrav
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: RAV4 4.3
Year: 2008
Trim Level: XTR+
Other Vehicle: Mitsubishi ASX
Trim: Auto

PostPosted by dave.m » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:20 pm

Store it this way and it will only use 20% of your boot space -

dave.m
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 no 4
Fuel Type: Hybrid

PostPosted by 4raver » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:56 am

Now that's neat and I could still use the boss for storage....thanks again.
4raver
'100 Club' Member
'100 Club' Member

PostPosted by bobbymcleish » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:03 pm

I have a full size 18" spare and tried storing it the way you have shown in your photo, yes it does take up less room in the boot, but takes up a fair bit of the rear seats and my daughter does not like it (neither do I). It's a shame that it does not slot in where you store yours without having to push the rear seat forward !!!

It's a great piece of mind having a full spare whilst driving, but it's a REAL pain having it laying flat in the boot taking up all that space, not to mention carrying all that extra weight around.

Now have I have it, I'll probably never have another flat !!!!
2011 Toyota Rav4 D-CAT SR Auto Pearl White, style pack, front/rear sensors, DRL's, Autolocks, Dual Rear Exhaust, DAB, front & rear Silent Witness dashcams.
bobbymcleish
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 D-Cat SR Auto
Year: 2011
Trim Level: SR
Other Vehicle: Estima
Year: 2003
Trim: Leather

Next