Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

The Rav4 Tyre thread..

Section for general chatting about your RAV4 or other Rides ... What you do with it, how to use it, where you been in it, or not been in it, we don't mind... It's a free world!
Oh, If you want to get all technical, the Technical Questions and Info could be the place to go.

The Rav4 Tyre thread..

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:45 pm

Some may have read my tyre dilemma elsewhere so thought we could perhaps have a tyre thread where we can come for reference rather than keep asking the same questions when we forget the information from old threads ?

Perhaps we can make up a reference list of tyres for the different variants of Rav4s ?

My situation....

I have a Rav4 Invincible with the standard Bridgestone Dueler tyres. These tyres are so noisy its no exaggeration to say is spoils an otherwise brilliant car. The roar is very loud and when surface changes are taken the roar can be deafening.. OK I exaggerate slightly but on my last Toyota Rav4 T180 the tyres fitted (Vredestein Wintrac4 extremes) the ride was near silent... My T180 when on Duelers was just as noisy as the ones on the Invincible..

So I'm after suggestions as to which tyre to fit in place of the Duelers.. The tyre I was thinking of is/was the Vredestein Quatrac 3 but it seems they are hard to get hoId of..

The main things I want in a tyre are.

Low noise
A tyre that is all season. A dedicated winter or summer tyre may not be the way to go
Reasonable mileage but I would sacrifice a few thousand miles for comfort and low noise.

I'm not to stressed on budget as long as I get the above qualitys . I use the car every day and like many I would prefer comfort and noise over a few quid..

My Wintrac Extremes have done 36/37.000 miles in both winter and summer and may consider using them again but worth asking for opinions before deciding..

Cheers !
For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name... He marks not that you won or lost.. But how you played the game..
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Invincible Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Invincible Automatic
Fuel Type: 2.2 Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ Right foot
Year: 2012
Trim: Trainer
Fuel Type: Petrol . = fumes..

Re: The Rav4 Tyre thread..

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:53 pm

Here is a picture of the Vredestein Quatrac3... It is easy to see how the tyre has been built to deal with both summer and winter by looking at the tread pattern.. Could this be the perfect tyre ?
For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name... He marks not that you won or lost.. But how you played the game..
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by Hoovie » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:59 pm

I would agree with Kevin on his like of Continentals.
I had Winter Contis on the 4.3 SR and they were great I thought, and whenever I have fitted Continentals as replacement tyres on any vehicle, I have always been more then happy with them in every respect.
The most recent time I strayed on a replacement set to use Maxxus, I wish I hadn't :s_sad

However, you are a man who know what he likes, so I would stick with your preference and wait until they are available, as it is not critical to get them changed ASAP and you are in a position to hold on for them.
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:09 pm

Hoovie wrote:I would agree with Kevin on his like of Continentals.
I had Winter Contis on the 4.3 SR and they were great I thought, and whenever I have fitted Continentals as replacement tyres on any vehicle, I have always been more then happy with them in every respect.
The most recent time I strayed on a replacement set to use Maxxus, I wish I hadn't :s_sad

However, you are a man who know what he likes, so I would stick with your preference and wait until they are available, as it is not critical to get them changed ASAP and you are in a position to hold on for them.

I can get them from Germany David
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/all-season-ty ... 1313936366
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by GreyRacer » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:25 pm

http://www.goodyear.eu/uk_en/tires/4x4/ ... tgrip-suv/

These are the ones I'll be changing to. Had them on my 4.3 and they were very good and at 68 dbs are the quietest you will get.
David
Past RAV4 ownership
4.1 GX 16v Blue
4.1.5 GX 16v Green
4.3 XT-R 150 Mica black
4.4 Invincible Highland Green
GreyRacer
'500 Club' Member
'500 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: Mini Clubman
Year: 2016
Trim Level: Cooper S
Fuel Type: Pertol
Other Vehicle: Mazda MX-5
Year: 2008
Trim: NC

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:40 pm

GreyRacer wrote:http://www.goodyear.eu/uk_en/tires/4x4/efficientgrip-suv/

These are the ones I'll be changing to. Had them on my 4.3 and they were very good and at 68 dbs are the quietest you will get.

I had a look at those after reading your suggestion on the other thread.. Are they all season tyres ?? Also how are you finding them on price ? Cheers !

Looking again I read they are summer tyres......
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by anchorman » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:53 pm

I saw recently in auto express, one of the big brands was doing a new all season but can I find it?

Those vredestiens do look the part.
© 2017 RAV4driversclub.com
No part of this post may be copied out of this forum without express permission of Anchorman.

Any advice given is meant to be helpful and in good spirit. No liability is accepted for loss , damage or injury. WORK SAFELY

RAV4driversclub.com - Made for RAV4 drivers, suitable for all.

Nothing I write is intended to directly offend anyone no matter how it comes across.
And another thing......

20years_RAV4.jpg
anchorman
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Mazda CX5 T180 eater
Year: 2015
Trim Level: Sportnav
Fuel Type: Euro VI diesel

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:01 pm

Have found a set of four of the Vredesteins but can't post a link on this damned iPad .. I hate this thing !!

Anyway :s_biggrin set of four for £620 delivered but they are from Germany and I'm unsure if we pay any VAT or import duty when buying from Europe ?? Seem to think we don't as it's free trade between European member countries ....... Anyone know ??
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by GreyRacer » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:07 pm

I've bought two sets of winter tyres from Germany and there is no extra payments.
David
Past RAV4 ownership
4.1 GX 16v Blue
4.1.5 GX 16v Green
4.3 XT-R 150 Mica black
4.4 Invincible Highland Green
GreyRacer
'500 Club' Member
'500 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: Mini Clubman
Year: 2016
Trim Level: Cooper S
Fuel Type: Pertol
Other Vehicle: Mazda MX-5
Year: 2008
Trim: NC

PostPosted by dave.m » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:08 pm

CharlieFarlie wrote:Have found a set of four of the Vredesteins but can't post a link on this damned iPad .. I hate this thing !!
??

I'm on I pad Charlie, I use one of those rubber stylus things. Still a bit of gubbering about trying to get into the middle
Of link brackets, but eventually get there. May be worth asking Hoovie if there are any changes which can be made
to the settings to post a URL in a different way.
dave.m
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 no 4
Fuel Type: Hybrid

Next

Return to Car Talk