Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

The Rav4 Tyre thread..

Section for general chatting about your RAV4 or other Rides ... What you do with it, how to use it, where you been in it, or not been in it, we don't mind... It's a free world!
Oh, If you want to get all technical, the Technical Questions and Info could be the place to go.

Re: The Rav4 Tyre thread..

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:59 pm

I watched this before I bought the cross climate https://youtu.be/YO0zyQh2l3M

Also Two-T's favourable comments helped me take the plunge!
RAV4 Drivers Club, the best Toyota RAV4 forum in the UK!

Previous owner of LC3, RAV 4.3 2.2 diesel and 4.3 XT4 2.0 petrol, and many other Toyotas!

20years_RAV4.jpg
DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: Honda CRV Auto
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SE+
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: Honda Jazz CVT
Trim: EX

PostPosted by philip42h » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:19 pm

... and a couple of recent (2017) reviews of all season tyre performance:
As with all such reviews, the overall results need to be taken with a pinch of salt but the individual test elements seem objective enough.

It would appear that if you are in northern Europe and want a winter tyre that you can use all year round then the Nokian Weatherproof would be a good choice. While if you are further south and want a summer tyre that you can use when it turns wintery then the Michelin CrossClimate is a better bet. And as an overall compromise, a Goodyear Vector 4Seasons just beats them both with the Vredestein Quatrac 5 a decent runner up. But in reality there isn't that much to choose between them.

As ever, you pays your money and takes your choice ... ;)

Edit: And having checked it appears that Goodyear don't make the Vector 4Seasons in "our size" ...
Philip
philip42h
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: 4.4 Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Icon
Fuel Type: Diesel

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:54 pm

I am not sure the classfication of the UK being in "Northern Europe" is applicable in terms of winter weather though :N
We don't get anywhere close to the Cold and Snow that they do in Scandinavia or countries south of us such as Germany (just like we unfortunately don't get their summer weather either).

Maybe in the extremes of Scotland there is a proper winter for a time but nowhere else.
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by philip42h » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:49 pm

Hoovie wrote:I am not sure the classfication of the UK being in "Northern Europe" is applicable in terms of winter weather though :N
We don't get anywhere close to the Cold and Snow that they do in Scandinavia or countries south of us such as Germany (just like we unfortunately don't get their summer weather either).

Maybe in the extremes of Scotland there is a proper winter for a time but nowhere else.

Quite so ... I'm sure that I never classified "the UK being in "Northern Europe"" though some members from Scotlandshire may do so ... ;)
Philip
philip42h
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: 4.4 Auto
Trim Level: Icon
Fuel Type: Diesel

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:28 am

When we had the snowy winter of 2010 there was snow in Scotland ( I lived there then ) but far more snow in the Midlands........

But in my opinion we just don't need two different tyres and wheels given the winters we get. Of course there will be the extremes like 2010 which convinced me I Did need them.....

But now I feel the all weather tyres are definatley the way to go. ALL manufacturers will try to say they have the best tyre but all will be capable.

The Vredestiens I use on All of our cars give a quiet comfortable ride. They give excellent steering feedback and a stunningly confident drive. Mileage is brilliant and compared to the noisy hard awful tyres fitted as standard they are a revelation.

It really matters not which brand you choose. Mitchelins Goodyears Vredestiens or whatever one may be quieter so slight you can't tell one might give better MPG again so slight you can't tell or a better ride quality. Some even choose by the tread pattern...... :)
For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name... He marks not that you won or lost.. But how you played the game..
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Invincible Auto
Trim Level: Invincible Automatic
Fuel Type: 2.2 Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ Right foot
Year: 2012
Trim: Trainer
Fuel Type: Petrol . = fumes..

PostPosted by glorydad » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:54 am

Crossclimates now on Costco website. Flippin’ expensive mind.
"The devil 's in the detail"
glorydad
Club Regular
Club Regular

Primary Vehicle: RAV 4.4
Year: 2016
Trim Level: Excel
Fuel Type: 2.5l Petrol Hybrid

PostPosted by Hoovie » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:08 pm

philip42h wrote:
Hoovie wrote:I am not sure the classfication of the UK being in "Northern Europe" is applicable in terms of winter weather though :N

Quite so ... I'm sure that I never classified "the UK being in "Northern Europe"" though some members from Scotlandshire may do so ... ;)

I made that comment in case someone else may have, as geographically we could be considered Northern Europe (one company I worked for broke Europe into about 3 or 4 areas, and the UK, Ireland and Scandinavia were "Northern Region") :s_howdy
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by clarki » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:41 pm

New set of Yokos being fitted on mine Monday. Cant wait. Be nice to have a bit of grip again!!

Adsa tyres were the best price for an all in price.
clarki
Club Member
Club Member

Primary Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2009
Trim Level: XT-R
Fuel Type: D-4D
Other Vehicle: SLK
Fuel Type: Lots

Previous

Return to Car Talk