Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

The Rav4 Tyre thread..

Section for general chatting about your RAV4 or other Rides ... What you do with it, how to use it, where you been in it, or not been in it, we don't mind... It's a free world!
Oh, If you want to get all technical, the Technical Questions and Info could be the place to go.

Re: The Rav4 Tyre thread..

PostPosted by glorydad » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:27 pm

At long last it appears that Michelin have increased their range of sizes for the Crossclimate all season tyre with the snow flake symbol. This is great news for us RAV owners. The size I have been waiting for is 235 55 18 and it is now available.
I have seen them listed on My Tyres and Tyres on Line but not on Costco’s yet, although I am sure it won’t be long.
Here’s the £64k question for our tyre experts. For a person who lives in Milton Keynes but travels to and across the Alps regularly in winter, which would you choose between the Cross Climates, the Vredestein Quatrac 5 and the Nokian Weatherproof.
Up to now I have been fitting winter Tyres fo winter and using the OEM Tyres for “Summer”.
Great Forum!
"The devil 's in the detail"
glorydad
Club Regular
Club Regular

Primary Vehicle: RAV 4.4
Year: 2016
Trim Level: Excel
Fuel Type: 2.5l Petrol Hybrid

PostPosted by Hoovie » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:04 pm

glorydad wrote:At long last it appears that Michelin have increased their range of sizes for the Crossclimate all season tyre with the snow flake symbol. This is great news for us RAV owners. The size I have been waiting for is 235 55 18 and it is now available.
I have seen them listed on My Tyres and Tyres on Line but not on Costco’s yet, although I am sure it won’t be long.
Here’s the £64k question for our tyre experts. For a person who lives in Milton Keynes but travels to and across the Alps regularly in winter, which would you choose between the Cross Climates, the Vredestein Quatrac 5 and the Nokian Weatherproof.
Up to now I have been fitting winter Tyres fo winter and using the OEM Tyres for “Summer”.
Great Forum!

I think the Cross Climates are totally fab, but if I had your usage pattern, I wonder if I would just stay with your current method TBH :s_scratchhead
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:27 pm

I am happy with the cross climate so far but the weather in Worcestershire is yet to get cold, so early days. Even when it does snow it won't be like in the Alps! I will be very interested to know how you get on with them if you do decide to buy but can't really help with your dilemma. I bought mine from tyresonthedrive.
RAV4 Drivers Club, the best Toyota RAV4 forum in the UK!

Previous owner of LC3, RAV 4.3 2.2 diesel and 4.3 XT4 2.0 petrol, and many other Toyotas!

20years_RAV4.jpg
DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: Honda CRV Auto
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SE+
Other Vehicle: Honda Jazz CVT
Trim: EX

PostPosted by philip42h » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:23 am

Hoovie wrote:
glorydad wrote:At long last it appears that Michelin have increased their range of sizes for the Crossclimate all season tyre with the snow flake symbol. This is great news for us RAV owners. The size I have been waiting for is 235 55 18 and it is now available.
Great Forum!

I think the Cross Climates are totally fab, but if I had your usage pattern, I wonder if I would just stay with your current method TBH :s_scratchhead

Well spotted! Have you actually found anywhere selling them though? I can't / haven't yet ...

The Michelin site does now show CrossClimate SUVs in 235/55 R18 104V XL but they don't give any labelling information nor RRP and I can't yet find anywhere that lists them in that size. So maybe it's still more of a statement of intention rather than a done deal this week ...

I'll probably go for the CrossClimates at next tyre change because they will do all that I need these days (not that much snow in Wales) and it saves the faf of swapping twice a year. But, as Hoovie suggests, full winters are still probably best for real winter conditions and as you already have them ...

The CrossClimates are 'summer' tyres designed and certified for winter use (complete with Mountain and Snowflake); the others are 'winter' tyres designed to be used all year round. So the CrossClimates are probably ideal for year round use around Milton Keynes.
Philip
philip42h
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: 4.4 Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Icon
Fuel Type: Diesel

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:31 am

philip42h wrote:
Hoovie wrote:
Great Forum!

Well spotted! Have you actually found anywhere selling them though? I can't / haven't yet ...

The Michelin site does now show CrossClimate SUVs in 235/55 R18 104V XL but they don't give any labelling information nor RRP and I can't yet find anywhere that lists them in that size. So maybe it's still more of a statement of intention rather than a done deal this week ...

I'll probably go for the CrossClimates at next tyre change because they will do all that I need these days (not that much snow in Wales) and it saves the faf of swapping twice a year. But, as Hoovie suggests, full winters are still probably best for real winter conditions and as you already have them ...

The CrossClimates are 'summer' tyres designed and certified for winter use (complete with Mountain and Snowflake); the others are 'winter' tyres designed to be used all year round. So the CrossClimates are probably ideal for year round use around Milton Keynes.

As glorydad said:
https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/Tyres/Michelin/CrossClimate/235-55-R18-104V-XL---SUV--mit-Felgenschutzleiste--FSL-/R-348737
RAV4 Drivers Club, the best Toyota RAV4 forum in the UK!

Previous owner of LC3, RAV 4.3 2.2 diesel and 4.3 XT4 2.0 petrol, and many other Toyotas!

20years_RAV4.jpg
DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: Honda CRV Auto
Trim Level: SE+
Other Vehicle: Honda Jazz CVT
Trim: EX

PostPosted by Hoovie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:40 am

Great Forum!

I might be going to Costco today, and if so I will ask in the tyre area if they have these available to fit (and the price as well!)

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

PostPosted by Big Kev » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:03 pm

How to confuse me and Charlie.....?

Mytyres advert......"Summer Tyres with Snow Flake Symbol...."

Ffs mins.........
"Nobody knows where my Johnnie has gone"........why sing about a missing condom....?
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

Primary Vehicle: Rav4
Trim Level: SR Auto
Other Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2004
Trim: Granite
Fuel Type: Petrol 3 Door.

PostPosted by glorydad » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:26 pm

Big Kev wrote:How to confuse me and Charlie.....?

Ffs mins.........

Ha ha...I know what you mean! You need to translate it for us into your Scots dielect.
But in my English I will try to sum up what is happening in the tyre world. I am no expert and these are my views of what I have read. They could well be wrong (as I often can be!). Please comment especially if you guys have a different view or experience.
M Crossclimates.......Summer biased tyre that passes the traction etc. tests to be a capable snow, ice ,slush and heavy rain tyre. Hence the snowflake symbol.
V Quatrac 5 ............Winter tyre that can perform well in the warmer environment of Summer. Also accredited with the snowflake
Nokian Weatherproof...ditto as for the Quatrac but comes from a Finnish manufacturer and maybe more biased to cold weather.
Any thoughts, before I spend, good people.
Andy
"The devil 's in the detail"
glorydad
Club Regular
Club Regular

Primary Vehicle: RAV 4.4
Year: 2016
Trim Level: Excel
Fuel Type: 2.5l Petrol Hybrid

PostPosted by Hoovie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:45 pm

I don't that assessment of the crossclimate is quite right.

What the crossclimate is about is its suitability in COLD weather, not just about managing snow and rain.
Winter tyres have a different compound that makes them more effective then summer tyres under 6C (maybe 8C?). What Michelin have claimed the Crossclimate has is a tyre rubber construction that has the same characteristics as a summer tyre in summer and a winter tyre in winter.

Hoovie
Admin
Admin

PostPosted by philip42h » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:39 pm

... all of which explains why I couldn't find the **** things when I looked for "All Season" tyres - MyTyres has them listed as "Summer" tyres and I wasn't looking for those.

And whichever way you look at it, they (MyTyres) are not being consistent - Michelin are clearly marketing CrossClimates as "All Season" tyres. So, as Kev says:
Big Kev wrote:How to confuse me and Charlie.....?

Ffs mins.........

Add me to the list of the 'confused' ... :D
Philip
philip42h
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: 4.4 Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Icon

PreviousNext