Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

The Rav4 Tyre thread..

Section for general chatting about your RAV4 or other Rides ... What you do with it, how to use it, where you been in it, or not been in it, we don't mind... It's a free world!
Oh, If you want to get all technical, the Technical Questions and Info could be the place to go.

Re: The Rav4 Tyre thread..

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:04 pm

philip42h wrote:
Big Kev wrote:
philip42h wrote:
Hoovie wrote:
Two-T wrote:
Hoovie wrote:I usually buy my tyres at the best price I can find and get them fitted by a couple of local shops :s_thumbsup

I do tend to get a good rate from them, being in "the trade", but even standard rates can be cost effective, especially if you drop into them when they are quiet and twiddling their thumbs :s_cool

You could try blackcircles or mytyers, sometimes they have good prices. Also, if you are a member of Costco it is worth enquiring with them.

In my own case, the internet "supply and fit"sellers are no good as their "National" fitters don't cover my area. Found Costo more expensive then other solutions.

Both Blackcircles and MyTyres will supply tyres to your door so that you can choose your own local fitter.

The CrossClimates on my wife's car came from ATS Euromaster - a very reasonable price at the time.

[But Michelin still don't make them in the right size for my RAV - 235 55 R18 :( ]

I just had two Quatrac 5s fitted and balanced for £240 all in.

I had a slow puncture on one and it was not repairable. Imagine my horror when the fitter found another on the front also non repairable as the screw in one and nail in the other both in the bloody shoulders.
.....and thereby hangs the fuggeration bactor.....they wouldah been my next set of tyres only for the fact that they won't fit.....so looked at Charlie's Pets, the Vredestein Quatrac 5......only seem available from That Germany, but WILL NOT DELIVER to Scotteesh Highlands.....up yours then, Fritz......tons of tread left.....hokoyamas here ah come, again......

Mytyres will supply Charlie's Pets at £138.60 each and deliver to you ...
•For the Scottish Islands and the Highlands please add £9.50 per tyre
For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name... He marks not that you won or lost.. But how you played the game..
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

Primary Vehicle: Rav4 Invincible Auto
Year: 2013
Trim Level: Invincible Automatic
Fuel Type: 2.2 Diesel
Other Vehicle: Toyota IQ Right foot
Year: 2012
Trim: Trainer
Fuel Type: Petrol . = fumes..

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:02 pm

drlongleg5 wrote:Hi, please bare with me while I ramble on but I've been following this thread for a while ,as ofcourse I now need some tyres on my 2014 RAV4 invincible . So l took the plunge and bought a couple of Avon tyres off Black&&&&&,(don't want to advertise), I had an email this morning off them asking if my current tyres were run flats , they should have BSR on them if they are, Bridgestone run flats, apparently. Well they haven't, so that was that, then I was wondering if they have tyre pressure monitors on them. How can I tell if they have and how much of a faff is it for an independent tyre fitter to fit new tyres....hope thats as clear mud, any help is greatly appreciated..

Hi, I hope others with greater knowledge will reply back but t to start off: your 2014 RAV won't have run flats but almost certainly will have TPMS fitted by Toyota. My wife's Honda is older, a 2012, and I did wonder when I had the tyres changed but I am pretty sure the TPMS is fitted to the wheels and not the tyre valves so unaffected. :s_thumbsup

I will be interested to hear what others say!
RAV4 Drivers Club, the best Toyota RAV4 forum in the UK!

Previous owner of LC3, RAV 4.3 2.2 diesel and 4.3 XT4 2.0 petrol, and many other Toyotas!

20years_RAV4.jpg
DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: Honda CRV Auto
Trim Level: SE+
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: Honda Jazz CVT
Trim: EX

PostPosted by drlongleg5 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:02 pm

Many thanks David, that's one less thing to worry about... :s_scratchhead
drlongleg5

Primary Vehicle: 2.2 Invincible
Year: 2014
Fuel Type: Diesel
Other Vehicle: Jazz Si
Fuel Type: 4star

PostPosted by Two-T » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:58 pm

As far as I know, the 2014 does not have run flats, you probably had the Bridgstone Duellers...
The TPMS is fitted on the rim, not the tyre. Just make sure that the fitter is aware that you have one and he is not breaking it.
You will need to 'Reset' the TMPS once you change the tyres - look at the manual how to do that (there is a button under the steering wheel somewhere)

Out of interest... how many miles have you managed to squeeze out the current set?
Two-T
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: RAV4!
Trim Level: Invincible
Other Vehicle: Corolla
Year: 1999
Trim: GS

PostPosted by philip42h » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:05 pm

Two-T wrote: ... You will need to 'Reset' the TMPS once you change the tyres ...

I can't see the need to do that unless you are changing the operating pressure of the tyres ... or, at least, I have never done so on the twice yearly swaps between summer and winter tyres and I know that the TMPS is working just fine!
:)
Philip
philip42h
'250 Club' Member
'250 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: 4.4 Auto
Trim Level: Icon

PostPosted by drlongleg5 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:48 pm

Thanks for all your replies, my current Duellers have covered 26000 miles and the fronts are only worn on the edges, the rear are fine, lots of life left. I did look at the handbook this afternoon and went in search of the tpms reset button, eventually found it and I'm a little happier now. Fingers crossed that there will be no warning lights after my new tyres are fitted on wednesday but if there are, I now have a vague idea as how to reset it. Many thanks again for your help :s_howdy
drlongleg5

PostPosted by Two-T » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:00 pm

philip42h wrote:
Two-T wrote: ... You will need to 'Reset' the TMPS once you change the tyres ...

I can't see the need to do that unless you are changing the operating pressure of the tyres ... or, at least, I have never done so on the twice yearly swaps between summer and winter tyres and I know that the TMPS is working just fine!

The manual recommends every time you adjust the pressure to press this reset. I guess it re-centers the reading.
I guess if there is no issue, than that is OK. ;)
Two-T
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: RAV4!
Trim Level: Invincible
Other Vehicle: Corolla
Year: 1999
Trim: GS

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:25 pm

2013/14 cars do not have runflats nor is there any need to mess with the TPMS when changing tyres. I make sure the wheel is returned to the corner from which it was taken but this is likely unnecessary. :s_thumbsup
For when the one great scorer comes to mark against your name... He marks not that you won or lost.. But how you played the game..
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by CharlieFarlie » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:26 pm

Two-T wrote:
philip42h wrote:

The manual recommends every time you adjust the pressure to press this reset. I guess it re-centers the reading.
I guess if there is no issue, than that is OK. ;)

Where is this reset button ?
CharlieFarlie
Club Moderator
Club Moderator

PostPosted by drlongleg5 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:32 pm

The reset button is directly inline with the brake pedal, on the lower plastic facia ,about shin level. I had to put the drivers seat way back and lay in the footwell. Crazy place to be but there you are......
drlongleg5

PreviousNext

Return to Car Talk