Search the Forum * View unanswered posts * View unread posts * View new posts * View active topics * Visit the Club Shop * See Club Members Deals

The Rav4 Tyre thread..

Section for general chatting about your RAV4 or other Rides ... What you do with it, how to use it, where you been in it, or not been in it, we don't mind... It's a free world!
Oh, If you want to get all technical, the Technical Questions and Info could be the place to go.

Re: The Rav4 Tyre thread..

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:58 pm

CharlieFarlie wrote:
DavidWilson wrote:
DavidWilson wrote:I am starting to research tyres for my wife's CRV although I will not change yet!

There appear to be two all season tyres available: Goodyear Vector 4S and Michelin Crossclimate. The Michelins have an extra load rating so may be the best. Any experience recently of either of these? Do you think the all season tyres would be worth getting over summer tyres, bearing in mind the temperatures are not too low most of the time in Worcestershire?

I guess no one has bought the Goodyear Vectors :)

David given the weather here in our area I think the new hybrid cross purpose tyres are more than adequate. I'm running Vredestien Quatracts on my Rav and the wife's IQ. Both cars are very quiet and feel very sure footed indeed.

The CRV has been fine so far on summer tyres but I think changing to the new all season tyres would make the car even safer in the cold weather. Thanks for your info Charlie :s_thumbsup
RAV4 Drivers Club, the best Toyota RAV4 forum in the UK!

Previous owner of LC3, RAV 4.3 2.2 diesel and 4.3 XT4 2.0 petrol, and many other Toyotas!

DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: Honda CRV Auto
Year: 2012
Trim Level: SE+
Fuel Type: Petrol
Other Vehicle: Honda Jazz CVT
Trim: EX

PostPosted by tilly » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:20 am

Bought a full set of Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S G012's for my 4.2 over two months ago. Very nice on noise and grip. No problems at all getting up a wet and muddy slopingn bridlepath to my field.
tilly
Club Regular
Club Regular

Primary Vehicle: 4.2
Year: 2003
Trim Level: GX

PostPosted by northern_lad » Mon May 29, 2017 9:46 pm

Costco have a deal on Goodyear tyres for 18 inch rims, £35 off 2 tyres £70 off 4.

I went to Haydock Costco today to check on the deal but they told me that they would only fit 2 tyres if the remaining 2 tyres had more than 4mm of tread left as it would have adverse effects on the 4 wheel drive system.

The fronts are at about 3mm and showing signs of cracking between the treads but the rears are good with 6mm left. All the tyres are the original Bridgestone Duelers,4 years old and have done 32K.
I was not in the RAV so he couldn't inspect.

Now I reckon the circumference difference between a new tyre and a 50% worn one is about 25mm, would this really make a difference or is this just a way of selling more tyres.

Loving the new RAV

Keith.
northern_lad
'100 Club' Member
'100 Club' Member

Primary Vehicle: 4.3
Year: 2009
Trim Level: xtr
Fuel Type: Diesel

PostPosted by Two-T » Mon May 29, 2017 11:15 pm

northern_lad wrote:Costco have a deal on Goodyear tyres for 18 inch rims, £35 off 2 tyres £70 off 4.

I went to Haydock Costco today to check on the deal but they told me that they would only fit 2 tyres if the remaining 2 tyres had more than 4mm of tread left as it would have adverse effects on the 4 wheel drive system.

The fronts are at about 3mm and showing signs of cracking between the treads but the rears are good with 6mm left. All the tyres are the original Bridgestone Duelers,4 years old and have done 32K.
I was not in the RAV so he couldn't inspect.

Now I reckon the circumference difference between a new tyre and a 50% worn one is about 25mm, would this really make a difference or is this just a way of selling more tyres.

Loving the new RAV

Keith.

I had the same issue with Costco. Wanted 2X Michelins, but they would not fit blah blah blah. Disappointed.
The only way to overcome this, is to take the rims only and ask them to fit new tyres, I think.
Went verdestein Quatrac 5 from my tyres.
Two-T
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: RAV4!
Year: 2014
Trim Level: Invincible
Other Vehicle: Corolla
Year: 1999
Trim: GS

PostPosted by northern_lad » Tue May 30, 2017 7:27 am

The Goodyears are Efficient Grip SUV and are rated as C, B & 68 and get excellent reviews.
These are £205 for 2 if you can get them fitted.
The price of other rim sizes are also being discounted.
northern_lad
'100 Club' Member
'100 Club' Member

PostPosted by Big Kev » Tue May 30, 2017 9:21 am

northern_lad wrote:The Goodyears are Efficient Grip SUV and are rated as C, B & 68 and get excellent reviews.

Strange wan Keef.....Glesga Costco only do Michelin.....and 68db is a hellya quiet tyre.......I will look at them come the time, but still fancy their all Seasons wans or whatever they call thum.
"Nobody knows where my Johnnie has gone"........why sing about a missing condom....?
Big Kev
Official Club Comic
Official Club Comic

Primary Vehicle: Rav4
Trim Level: SR Auto
Other Vehicle: Rav4
Year: 2004
Trim: Granite
Fuel Type: Petrol 3 Door.

PostPosted by Hoovie » Tue May 30, 2017 11:05 am

Big Kev wrote:
northern_lad wrote:The Goodyears are Efficient Grip SUV and are rated as C, B & 68 and get excellent reviews.

Strange wan Keef.....Glesga Costco only do Michelin.....and 68db is a hellya quiet tyre.......I will look at them come the time, but still fancy their all Seasons wans or whatever they call thum.

Cross-Climate :s_thumbsup Highly recommended and wouldn't look for any other if the tyre is available in your size :s_howdy

I've only seen Michelin at Costco as well (I go to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Reading warehouses).

Might look at this deal... £35 off a tyre is good value (want 6 Michelin Camping tyres at some time in the nearish future)
Welcome to the best RAV4 Drivers Club in Europe ... come and join in the fun!

Sell on Line? Get a Website Designed, Built and Hosted, complete with Shop facilities from just £99
Visit SBS Borders for custom Web Design and Hosting services, and more besides
Hoovie
Admin
Admin

Primary Vehicle: Vauxhall Corsa!
Year: 2017
Trim Level: SE
Other Vehicle: VW Camper Vans

PostPosted by northern_lad » Tue May 30, 2017 3:53 pm

Look on Costco uk web site for tyres and you will find Michelin, Goodyear and Bridgestone.

I went to Haydock and they only stock Michelin and Bridgestone but you can order Goodyear from the web site and have them delivered to your chosen store.

I had the tyres inspected and was told not to waste my money, 4mm fronts, 6mm rears. Cracking is superficial and nothing to worry about.

The saving is £35 per pair of 18 inch tyres, there is a list on the web page of all the Goodyear offers and I think it lasts till June 6 or so.

I looked in Mr T's book of words for any reference to this 4mm difference between front and back but Toyota recommend tyre rotation every 4K miles on a 4x4 which would wear all the tyres down evenly.

Keith
northern_lad
'100 Club' Member
'100 Club' Member

PostPosted by DavidWilson » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:32 pm

I think the time has come to replace the tyres on my wife's CRV. Just had the service and MOT today and the tyres were mentioned! One is down to 3mm, another is showing signs of perishing, and a third apparently has cuts (I haven't seen them and can't understand why that should be; it is also the newest at two year old). One tyre is okay!

I am still thinking of buying the Michelin Cross Climate. Any thoughts?

They look quiet, fuel efficient and grippy! Not too worried about price and I will replace all four - probably very soon.
RAV4 Drivers Club, the best Toyota RAV4 forum in the UK!

Previous owner of LC3, RAV 4.3 2.2 diesel and 4.3 XT4 2.0 petrol, and many other Toyotas!

DavidWilson
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: Honda CRV Auto
Trim Level: SE+
Other Vehicle: Honda Jazz CVT
Trim: EX

PostPosted by Two-T » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:56 pm

DavidWilson wrote:I think the time has come to replace the tyres on my wife's CRV. Just had the service and MOT today and the tyres were mentioned! One is down to 3mm, another is showing signs of perishing, and a third apparently has cuts (I haven't seen them and can't understand why that should be; it is also the newest at two year old). One tyre is okay!

I am still thinking of buying the Michelin Cross Climate. Any thoughts?

They look quiet, fuel efficient and grippy! Not too worried about price and I will replace all four - probably very soon.

I have fitted Cross Climate on the Corolla and very happy with it, though I do not drive it that much lately.
Two-T
Club Supporter
Club Supporter

Primary Vehicle: RAV4!
Year: 2014
Trim Level: Invincible
Other Vehicle: Corolla
Year: 1999
Trim: GS

PreviousNext